I don’t think I know of anyone who doesn’t like stuffed mushrooms. They’re great as an appetizer or finger food at a party. I especially like bringing them for potlucks because they’re so tasty that you can be sure that everyone will love them. They’re easy to make and you can also get creative and stuff them with whatever you like!
I personally like bacon and cheese in stuffed mushrooms, but one time that I wanted to make them for some friends, one of them didn’t eat bacon. I had an old recipe for chicken roulade filled with spinach and feta, so I decided to use this vegetarian filling instead for the mushrooms. I was amazed at how delicious they turned out!
SPINACH AND FETA STUFFED MUSHROOMS
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup onion, finely diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 300 g package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
180 g crumbled feta cheese + extra for topping
1/2 tsp dried oregano
salt to taste
12 large mushrooms, stems removed
6 mushroom stems, finely chopped
1) Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a large baking sheet with oil or butter.
2) Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic until golden brown.
3) Add in mushroom stems and fry for 2 minutes.
4) Remove skillet from heat and add spinach, feta and oregano. If necessary, add salt to taste. Mix well and set aside.
5) To prepare mushroom caps for filling, use a melon baller or small spoon to scoop out and discard the gills of the mushrooms.
6) Place mushroom caps on the baking sheet and spoon the filling into the mushroom cavities.
7) Sprinkle the extra feta on the tops of the filled mushrooms.
8) Bake for 15 minutes.